It seems simple, but it’s a complicated question. What can you wear under your wetsuit that will stand up to the wear and tear of a bike seat and not get in your way on the run? I posed the question to the BeginnerTriathlete.com forum and here’s what they had to say:
- It really just comes down to personal preference. I see most athletes in two pieces, tri shorts + tri top. I like that combination personally for a few reasons. First I don’t think anyone looks remotely good in a one-piece tri suit and second it’s much easier to use the bathroom with the 2-piece ensemble.
- I second the two piece, I had GI issues my first HIM which put me in the porta potty each mile of the run, a one piece would have annoyed the heck out of me!
- I’m a two piece guy. Also, it needs to be tight(er). I bought my first outfit too big and ended up rarely using it.
- I like to rock the onesie.
- I just started wearing a one-piece this year, and really like it. I agree they don’t look as good as the two-piece, but I’m getting over that. I have worn it at a few sprints and an olympic and am likely to try it for my upcoming HIM. For a full IM though, I really think I would go with the two-piece for two reasons: 1. The porta potty thing 2. At T2, depending on conditions, it might really be nice to quickly trade in that tri-top for a clean, dry, and perhaps loose-fitting top. Wearing a 2 piece, and keeping that spare top in your T2 bag, you have that option.